How to obtain a copy of a crash report.
You can obtain a copy of a crash report three ways:
- You can purchase a copy of your crash report from www.buycrash.com and your report will be immediately emailed to you.
- You can come to the Porter County Sheriff's Office located at 2755 State Road 49, Valparaiso, IN 46383 during normal business hours—Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm (except holidays) but please call before coming to verify your crash is available for pick up.
- You can make a request by mail. If requesting by mail please mark your envelope “Attention Records” and include the address where you would like the report mailed back to. This option will take more time than the other two options.
To obtain a report at PCSO, you must provide at least two of the following identifiers:
- Case number
- Name and date of birth of subject involved
- Date and time of incident
- Location of incident
PLEASE NOTE REGARDING ACCIDENT REPORTS: Accident reports are not usually available until three business days after the officer has filed the report.
PLEASE NOTE REGARDING REQUESTING CRASH REPORTS VIA MAIL: Your request must have two of the identifiers as noted above. If you are requesting an accident report, please enclose a money order for $5.00 made payable to "Porter County Sheriff’s Office" and a return address.