Porter County Sheriff's Office

Frequently asked Questions

Look Out For Each Other



Sheriff's Sales


Victims of Crime

Indiana Handgun License Application Procedure


**As of October 1, 2014 there is an updated procedure to apply for your Indiana Handgun License** 


You may apply no more than 365 days (1 year) before your current permit expires.

You must complete your application at your local police station, BEFORE YOUR PERMIT EXPIRES,

to be able to carry while your application is processed to pay the lower fee.

If your permit has expired, you cannot carry while processing.

1. Go to http://www.in.gov/isp/2829.htm to fill out your application and to arrange for electronic fingerprints.

You will pay your state fee & fingerprinting fees online.

 As you are filling out your application please double check for accuracy because we cannot correct it for you.

Write down your user name, password & application number – it is critical that you use the same application number when you submit your fingerprints and when you complete your permit at your local agency.  

Once your application is submitted online, and your fingerprints have been taken, you MUST visit your local police agency in person to complete the application process. Residents from cities of Valparaiso, Portage, Chesterton, Porter, Kouts, Hebron, Ogden Dunes, Burns Harbor, or Beverly Shores must contact your city or town police department for instructions. If you are a resident of unincorporated Porter County you will complete your application at the Porter County Sheriff’s Dept following the next step. 

2. Come to the Sheriff’s Dept. Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM 3:30 PM (except holidays).

You MUST bring:

□  Application number

□  Fingerprint receipt

□  Money order for local fee (see below) payable to Porter County Sheriff’s Dept. or cash- EXACT CHANGE ONLY!

□  IN driver’s license or ID card, with current address

□  Current handgun permit, if applicable


License Type

Local Application Fee

See ISP website for state & fingerprinting fees

Money order or cahier’s check payable to

Porter County Sheriff's Dept

Four Yr Hunting & Target $10.00
Four Yr Personal Protection $10.00
Lifetime Hunting & Target/ No Current License $50.00
Lifetime Hunting & Target/ Current (not expired) License $40.00
Lifetime Personal Protection/ No Current License $50.00
Lifetime Personal Protection/ Current (not expired) License $40.00
Retired Law Enforcement Officer-** $10.00
Retired Corrections Officer-** $10.00
Firearms Dealer/Current Dealers License $10.00

A portion of the local fee is refundable if a license is not issued.

The entire state fee is refundable if no license is issued. The fingerprinting fee is not refundable.

** Bring a signed letter (on letterhead) from your former agency, or correction facility, stating that you worked as an officer for at least 20 years and that you retired in good standing.

Things to remember:

An Indiana handgun license is not recognized by most other states and may not allow you to legally carry a handgun outside the State of Indiana. You should always check with the state police of the state you will be visiting before transporting a handgun across state lines.

If you are ever stopped or approached by the police, and you are carrying a handgun, advise the officer and show him/her your license to carry the handgun.


Where can I get money orders?

The post office, banks, grocery stores, gas stations – anywhere that offers that service.


 Where can I apply online?

From the convenience of your home, office, public library or a friend, or family member, can help you. 


I live in the city limits of Hebron, which is in Porter County, why can’t I apply at the Sheriff’s Department?

The state requires that you apply in the police jurisdiction where you live.


I applied online but didn’t finish the process right away – do I need to resubmit my application?

No! It is critical that you use the same application # when you submitted your fingerprints.


Why does the address on my driver’s license have to be current?

Pursuant to IC 9-24-13-4, driver’s license holders are required to notify the BMV immediately of an address or name change. Your jurisdiction is verified by your current address.


 Where can I get more information about duplicate licenses, name & address changes, fees, appeal process, gun laws, etc?

Go to  http://www.state.in.us/isp/firearms.htm 

1999-2015 Porter County Sheriff. All rights reserved. Page design by Edie Hahn.