Porter County Sheriff's Office

Frequently asked Questions

How to obtain a Back Ground Check

The information listed on PCSP’s record checks only includes verified arrest and booking information occurring in Porter County, IN and should not be relied upon to determine an individual’s actual criminal record. This data will not reflect charging decisions made by the court system or the outcome of any criminal trials. An acquittal or dismissal of a criminal charge does not necessarily negate the validity of the arrest. To obtain the final disposition of any criminal charges, contact the Porter County Clerks Office.  You may also contact the arresting agency to inquire what information would be public record.  Odyssey System also provides a broader spectrum but usually only provides more recent information.  Record Checks are $7.00 and are cash only.


Odyssey Website- https://mycase.in.gov/default.aspx

Indiana State Police Website- www.in.gov/isp/

Indiana State Police- 800-552-8917 (inside Indiana)

Indiana State Police- 317-232-8286 (outside Indiana)


Beverly Shores Police- 219-879-8800

Burns Harbor Police- 219-787-9412

Chesterton Police- 219-926-1136

Hebron Police- 219-996-2747

Kouts Police- 219-766-2332

Lake County Sheriff- 219-755-3333

LaPorte County Sheriff- 800-548-5374

Ogden Dunes Police- 219-762-3000

Portage Police- 219-762-3122

Porter Police- 219-926-7611

Valparaiso Police- 219-462-2135

Valpo University Police-219-465-5430

Porter County Clerk’s Office- 219-465-3400

How to obtain a police report

If you are experiencing an emergency, call 911. If not, and if you live within county limits, call (219) 477-3000. Advise the dispatcher that you wish to file a police report. After the dispatcher obtains the necessary information, a police officer will then be dispatched to your location. If you choose, you can also file the report at the sheriff's department, located at 2755 State Road 49, Valparaiso. Either way, you can file a report twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week.

How to obtain a copy of a police or accident report

You can obtain a copy of police report by either coming directly to the sheriff's department, located at 2755 State Road 49, Valparaiso.

Our records department is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

To speed up the process of obtaining a police report, please provide at least two of the following identifiers:

name of subjects involved; date and time of incident; location of incident; and type of incident.

PLEASE NOTE REGARDING ACCIDENT REPORTS: Accident reports are not always available until three working days after a report is filed. Accident reports cost Five dollars ($5) cash or money order.

PLEASE NOTE REGARDING REQUESTING REPORTS VIA MAIL: Your request must have two of the identifiers as noted above. If you are requesting an accident report, please enclose a check for Five dollars ($5) made payable to "Porter County." and a return address.

How to obtain a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) check for my vehicle or a Hull Identification Number (HIN) check for my boat

The most common reasons the BMV requires a identification number check on you vehicle include: (1.) you purchased a vehicle with an out-of-state title; (2.) you moved to Indiana from out-of-state; (3.) you purchased a trailer without a VIN number; (4.) you built a new trailer; and/or (5.) you have an error on your title.

VIN/HIN  checks are by appointment only and can be scheduled by calling (219) 477-3000. Normal VIN/HIN check hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM, Holidays excluded if coming on station.

You must have the proper paperwork for the vehicle, including the title.

There is a five dollar ($5) CASH ONLY fee for a VIN/HIN check, which the officer will collect at the time he or she completes the inspection. A receipt will be issued.

How to obtain a Snowmobile Sticker

The Porter Co. Sheriff’s Dept. wants to remind the public that snowmobiles which operate on the traveled portion of public highways in Porter Co. must be registered with the Porter County Sheriff’s Police.

To register your snowmobile come to the Sheriff’s Dept. Monday thru Friday from 8am – 3:45pm (except holidays). Please bring:

State snowmobile registration card

Evidence of existence of an in-force policy of insurance covering personal property damage in the amount of twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000.00) and personal liability in the amount of one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000.00)

 A new weather resistant registration sticker will be provided and must be attached to the vehicle. There is no charge for the sticker. The penalty for failure to properly register your vehicle is a $50.00 citation.

 For the complete county code for snowmobiles go to:  http://www.porterco.org/DocumentCenter/View/1817

 For information on obtaining a state snowmobile registration go to: http://www.in.gov/bmv/3188.htm

1999-2015 Porter County Sheriff. All rights reserved. Page design by Edie Hahn.